I’ve hinted here and there that I gravitate towards a more minimalistic design style. I love extremely simplistic artwork, especially in a black, white, and gray color palette. As my design, fashion, and interior styles start to morph [and merge] I find myself honing in on classic and clean statement pieces. Does that happen to any of you? These modern, abstract paintings and prints are my favsies.
I’m so excited to start sharing the things that I am IN LOVE with directly with y’all. It was a total blast collaborating with Erin from artsocial. I encourage you to check out her bloggy, she’s sharing some sparkly ban.do goodness today.
I’m in the market for a new pair of spectacles. Ian purchased a pair of Warby Parker glasses about a year ago and they are still my favorite. Not only do they create amazing designer styles but their mission instantly sets them at the top of my preferred list. For every pair of glasses purchased they provide a pair to someone in need. I can totally get down with that. Behold, my top picks [honestly this was so hard because all of their styles are awesome]:
Begley: I think the Begley is beggin’ for me to try them out. What do you think?
Fillmore -Hazelwood: A little more feminine, I love the coloring in these.
Waldo: Where would we be without Waldo? I love the nostalgia behind these rims. It’s okay to be a little bit nerdy.
Benson: Minimalistic, clean-cut, and to the point. These frames are on point.
Miles: Maybe I’m drawn to these specs because my friends are planning on naming their baby Miles, or maybe it is because they are stylish but not over the top. Either way, they look pretty classy.
Everett: For when I want to feel like a diva but look like a rock star.
What is your favorite style? I need to narrow it down to 5 to try on. Which ones do you think I should try?
When Erin and I decided to team up and create the IN LOVE series I knew we struck gold. I’ve learned a bunch from my first real collaboration and Erin made it extremely easy since she is awesome. This is the last week that Erin is featuring her IN LOVE picks. But don’t worry… We are going to continue the series! I’ll just be back here on Mondays sharing what I am IN LOVE with you and she will be back at her blog. Don’t forget to check out my last week at artsocial, let’s just say my soiree is pretty draperlicious!
Well this week, we’re gettin’ into the Halloween spirit. I love Halloween… the treats, the scary movie-athons on tv, the opportunity to be someone else for one night (like an ab ex artist). It’s so fun. BUT Halloween decorations, treats, and costumes can get a little, oh what’s the word? Cheap. Kitschy. Over-the-top. Craptastic. Oh the acrylic! The horribly-made costumes! My recipe for a guaranteed classy Halloween: black and white.
1. Dress up your cupcakes with some black and white spider wrappers… mmm festively delicious.
3. and 4. Black decorations instantly say Halloween this time of year… add some black balloons and a black party banner to the room = instant spooksville, population: you and your party guests. Chief exports: class and spook-tastic fun. Ok, I’ll stop… (find a similar black pennant party banner here).
5. Excuse me, your cocktail is smoking. It’s supposed to be! With a little dry ice for a spooky touch, the La Llorona Cocktail is Halloween soiree-ready.
6. Omigosh, I’ve been so stuck in my carving ways that it never occurred to me I could paint my pumpkins. This is a game-changer for me…
7. Just like with art and design, I think sometimes the most successful holiday party treats are the simple ones. No need for all the bells and whistles… these sugar cookies are a classic favorite with a Halloween twist (and mucho classo).
Stay classy, San Diego. Oh I mean, stay classy this Halloween, guys… and have FUN!
Don’t forget to check out our pins over at Pinterest.
Today we have a treat! We are talking about parties and this is a topic that I certainly love. After hosting 15 people for Thanksgiving last year I have an itch to plan a holiday dinner party. We don’t have the space to host 15 people now so I’m trying to create an intimate setting and heavily focus on the decor. I’m sharing my party inspiration over at artsocial– think metallics, organic centerpieces and exposed wood. I’m all for mixing styles.
Erin from artsocial back for another round of IN LOVE! Wow, guys. Are the holidays already coming up?? My friends, family, and every store you enter seem to think so… my favorite thing about this time of year? All of the wonderful parties that bring everyone together.
1. Balloons! Well of course my favorite thing about holiday parties – or any parties for that matter – are balloon decorations. I mean they’re what make it a party, yes? Put some balloons in a room. Boom. Party. These epic balloons from Geronimo Balloons should just come live at my house… like all year round.
2. Finger food. So it goes: #1 favorite thing about parties: balloons. #2 favorite thing: delicious, individually-sized snacks. Cute mini donuts need to be at my holiday parties this year. Period.
3. Party pants. Everyone has a pair of party pants, right? Ok they may not be suuuuper short and have sequins on them, but they’re those special pair of pants that make you feel so hawt. Holiday parties give you the opportunity to dress up, wear those party pants, and really sparkle + shine.
4. Gathering. The best part of holiday parties? The bringing-people-together part. Just think of all the people in your life you only see around the holidays… celebrating family and friends, that’s the good stuff. (photo by Anabela Carneiro)
5. Creative decorations. Oh holiday party decor!! No matter what holiday decorations you choose to put up or how elaborate you choose to make them, they always make it feel like the holidays. It’s not Halloween until there’s a pumpkin on the doorstep, and it’s not Christmas until there’s a tree in the living room. Those are the rules, guys. I didn’t write them.
6. Party dranks. I’m a big fan of fun holiday cocktails that capture the taste of the season… or that have tinsel drink stirrers. Either/or.
7. Get out the good stuff. The holidays are for celebrating. Bust out your party pants and fine china. Can you imagine eating off of this bejeweled plate? It’d make my green bean casserole look real good.
Happy holiday party planning, friends!
The IN LOVE series is such a great way to start off the week. This weekend the hubs and I worked on our home office and I’m sharing my inspiration for designing our shared space over at artsocial <–think blacks, whites, and pops of metallics…oh yeahh!
Hi there, bedsidesigners. I know what you’re thinking: In Love: Office? There’s nothing sexy about offices. OH but there is. Ordinary office supplies no longer have to be ordinary, folks. Shark staple removers, envelopes with glitter, mouse pads that are actually cool! The goodies below are just a few of the office accessories I have a crush on… that’s right, I have a crush on a mouse pad.
1. I love to surround my office space with inspirational shtuff. Little sayings and motivational quotes that keep me pumped and focused are scattered everywhere. This stamp by Eat Pray Create is perfect for a little motivational boost… plus I’ve recently fallen in love with using stamps to personalize thank you letters and other artsocial mailings. Hat tip to you, Eat Pray Create.
2. Looking for a new planner? Poketo has gotcha covered. I have a pretty big office crush on Poketo… like borderline obsession.
3. You know how I said I have motivational quotes and such scattered everywhere in my office? Yup, “scattered” is the perfect word to describe my office. I need this clipboard organization system in the worst way. Perfectly organized inspiration… can you imagine?
4. It should come as no surprise that I LOVE art. Integrating art into my everyday life makes me one happy art lady. Enter: bubblegum paperweight sculptures. So awesome, right? I die. I would purposefully create stacks of messy papers just so I could use these…
5. Every office needs washi tape, yes? There are countless ways to use washi tape in an office. Ok, I may have sealed a rent check with washi tape. I don’t recommend that necessarily, but washi tape adds some extra happiness to just about every piece of mail I send out… and it can really add some pizazz to business cards.
6. I already have an elephant patterned laptop sleeve, so obvi I have to get a matching mouse pad by Slightly Smitten Kitten Designs. I love it so much… maybe too much.
7. I think having great stationery and gift wrap on hand is a sign of adulthood… right now I do not have any stationery or gift wrap. I’m ordering some asap. Sending someone a real live thank you card or gift in the mail has quite an impact. Let’s all send more mail, k? Psst if you have a stationery demand, isavirtue has the supply.
What are some of your favorite office accessories and must-haves?
Check out the other topics we are IN LOVE with. Are you looking for more ways to connect with this series? Head over to our Pinterest board where we pin all our inspiration. Oh and did I mention Erin is a social media wiz? She’s on Twitter + Facebook + Pinterest + Instagram
Can you believe it is OCTOBER?! Wow, the months are flying by. Today is our third week of the IN LOVE series and this topic is something I am very familiar with. Check out the things that I love about road trips over at artsocial.
Sooo guess what I’m doing this week… if you said going on a road trip, you are correct sir. After attending a fab wedding last Saturday in Albuquerque, my boyfriend and I are goin’ on a little road trip through different parts of New Mexico… that’s the plan anyway. In honor of this grand adventure, I thought I’d share all of my faaaavorite road trip stuff with you.
1. Friends, laughs, cruisin’ along with the radio bumpin’, road trips are F-U-N… unless you’re in a horror movie.
2. The open road. There’s something so calming about taking long drives. I love looking out at the scenery, contemplating the journey ahead, and letting go of the day-to-day… it’s as if just because I’m going somewhere, I’ll be learning something. That’s exciting.
3. You can’t have a road trip without awesome tasty beverages to drink along the way! Gotta stay hydrated… might as well indulge in a green tea frappuccino, yes?
4. Speaking of indulging, road trips are always a great excuse to eat allll of the things I normally never eat. Fries? Fried chicken sandwiches? Well there’s nothing else to eat out here, I have to eat fast food.
5. I don’t know what it is, but I LOVE staying at hotels – especially if they have a pool. I don’t even get in the pool necessarily – in fact, I rarely do. I don’t want to do my hair again, ya feel me? Just knowing there’s a wonderful, glistening pool that I can use at anytime makes me feel very abundant. Weird, I know.
6. One of my favorite parts of road tripping is stopping at random diners. I think it’s because it reminds me of being in a movie… important scenes always seem to take place in diners. There will be a confrontation or an awakening or some crazy plot twist… plus there’s pie.
7. Hands down the best part of the road trip: the adventure. Not knowing what you’ll see, where you’ll eat, who you’ll come across? Now that’s the good stuff.
What do youuu love about road trips?
Are you looking for more of the IN LOVE series? Check out our collaborative Pinterest board where we pin all our inspiration, maybe you can even guess what the next week’s theme is! And don’t forget to follow Erin on Twitter + Facebook + Pinterest + Instagram
Fall is here and I am thrilled! Bring on the pumpkins, spices, and cozy clothes! Erin from artsocial is here with us sharing her favorite things about this time of year and I’m over at artsocial today sharing mine!
Well hello again! So happy to be back for round two of the IN LOVE series… this time we’re focusing on all of those autumnal goodies that make it easier to say adios to summer and helllooo to fall.
1. Fall in Colorado is pretty magical. The trees turn gorgeous colors and there’s a crisp smell to the air that reminds me of fall activities – going back to school, picking out pumpkins, walking through crunchy leaves. You can really feel the seasons change here in Denver.
2. Jackets!! The crisp fall air means – hallelujah! – it’s jacket season. Wearing a jacket or blazer makes me feel instantly cute + professional and ready for my day… one time I put a blazer on over my pajamas for a Skype meeting. Totally rocked it. The blazer meant business and they were none the wiser to my old pajama bottoms.
3. One of my favorite fall activities is baking. Chocolate chip pumpkin bread is my specialty. OH yeah.
4. My second favorite fall activity is drinking warm beverages (that’s a legit fall activity, right?). I’ve never tried it, but I’m pretty intrigued by this earl grey hot chocolate… what do you think? Yay or nay?
5. I get cold easily. Fall is the best excuse ever to be cozy (and much better than winter when I’m required to wear my marshmallow man winter coat to survive… not cute). Blankets! Scarves! Sweaters! Bring it on… chances are I’m probably a little chilly right now. I’m that girl who carries a cardigan with her EVERYWHERE just in case.
6. Oh I love these Madewell boots. They need to be on ma feets… and I won’t take them off till spring thaw.
7. Oh Alby, you’re so wise. When the seasons change I become extra reflective about where I’ve been and where I’m going… What was I doing last year at this time? What do I want to be doing next fall? The beginning of a new season is like a tabula rasa, a fresh start, a chance to leave behind the things that aren’t working and focus on the things you do want. What are you imagining for yourself this fall?
See you next week, friends!
Want more of the IN LOVE series? We have a really cool collaborative Pinterest board where we figure out our inspiration for the following week. Check out Erin at these places: Twitter + Facebook + Pinterest + Instagram
Happy Monday! Okay – I’ve had this trick up my sleeve and the time has come to share it with you. Erin from Artsocial & I are collaborating on Mondays with a new series called “In Love” – I will be guest blogging on her awesome blog and she will be starting off the Bedsidesign week by guest blogging here. In addition, you can follow our inspiration behind the scenes via Pinterest where we are collecting the images that we will share with you! You guys are going to love Erin – her blog is flippin’ great and her eye for art/design/fashion/music/you get the point – is spot on. Please give her a warm welcome and don’t forget to check out my post on her blog!
IN LOVE: HAPPINESS
Hi there, friends. I’m preeetty stoked to be guest posting on Bedsidesign… and talking about happiness is kind of my favorite thing right now. Here are a few of the things that make me smile, bring me inspiration, and/or cause me to do spontaneous happy dances…
1. Oh the Pinterest. Not only do I love Pinterest, but I can’t get enough of the incredible lifestyle photography that’s pinned on the reg. Signe Vilstrup is one of my absolute favorites… P.S. photo shoots with balloons? CANNOT go wrong.
2. Speaking of balloons, these balloon prints by Inflated/Deflated are so clever I can’t stand it. It’s such a simple, yet brilliant idea… it makes me want to write my own sayings on deflated balloons (is that weird?). I’m a big contemporary art fan, so taking the mundane and turning it into a work of art is right up my alley. I often find myself thinking I just want to travel… et tu?
3. So I know I’m a guest on Bedsidesign and I don’t want to start off on the wrong foot, but… I’m kind of a cat lady. This is my cat Meowmers. He’s a sassy little guy, he brings me much happiness, and he sometimes finds himself on my Instagram feed… only sometimes, I promise. I try to keep my cat lady-ness in check.
4. I mentioned I love me some contemporary art – well Paul Octavious is one of the most talented and creative contemporary photographers out there. I have such an art crush on him… if I ever saw him in real life, I’d probably faint boy-band-fan style.
5. There’s something about cupcakes and happiness – they seem inextricably linked. They’re like an individually-sized gift just for you… and mini cupcakes? Well they’re even better cuz you can have like 3 and not feel bad.
6. Flats. I luurve them. I’m only 5’3″ so I should probs be interested in heels… but I’m not. They just don’t feel like me. So I’m saying nay to high heels and embracing my short-ness, ya hear. And Madewell does flats oh so well.
7. For some reason I have a soft spot for ’90s rap music… This gem from Friends of Type is referencing a little ditty by Skee Lo… takes me right back to high school, cruisin’ around in my *ahem* Neon… not very baller.
What are some of your favorite things, friends? I’d love to hear!