Since we are moving soon (oh my it’s getting so close) we decided against throwing a garage sale and putting up some items on craigslist instead. We sold a wicker dresser set that my dad got for free and then gave to us for free as well as a set of really beat up beige leather couches. It’s super exciting to take free items and turn them into cash! Now the quest is on for the perfect couch or sectional. Currently we blew up an air mattress and covered it with pillows and blankets as our interim couch, totally DIY, I kid I kid.
Have you ever downsized? It can be scary at first but here are some things that I learned (still learning):
1. If you don’t love it why keep it? It may sound simple but I hated our couches. They served a purpose for a time but at some point they had to go. You may have second thoughts (like I did as the 3 men from craigslist carried them out our front door) but once you make up your mind stick with it!
2. If you haven’t used it in 6 months consider selling/donating/throwing out. If you haven’t used it in a year get rid of it. Ian and I decided if we haven’t missed it odds are we won’t need it. This made the decision a lot easier.
3. If you have multiple items (ex: end tables – do you really need 6?) consider keeping one or two and ditching the rest. We found we had a lot of duplicates or multiples like spatulas, do we really need 7 of the same size? We really had 7 haha.
4. If it’s beyond repair lose it. I’m all for a great DIY but if something cannot be repurposed then it doesn’t need to take up your precious space.
5. If you don’t have space for it don’t buy it right away, put it on a 30 day list. This is more of a preventative step but you add to clutter and possessions by adding to them. If you really want something consider holding off on the immediate buy and put it on a list. Check out The Minimalist’s Guide to Fighting (and Beating) Clutter Entropy.
What tips and tricks do you have for downsizing?